The COVID Chronicles: Nobody Signed Up For This
This is a powerful story from The Chronicle of Higher Education, and a copy of his adjusted syllabus.
'Nobody Signed Up for This': One Professor's Guidelines for an Interrupted Semester
Brandon L. Bayne was trying to plot out a plan for a disrupted semester when he took a big step back. Like many faculty…
And here is the adjusted syllabus:
Adjusted Syllabus, Spring 2020
Brandon Bayne, UNC — Chapel Hill
1. Nobody signed up for this.
- Not for the sickness, not for the social distancing, not for the sudden end of our collective lives together on campus
- Not for an online class, not for teaching remotely, not for learning from home, not for mastering new technologies, not for varied access to learning materials
2. The humane option is the best option.
- We are going to prioritize supporting each other as humans
- We are going to prioritize simple solutions that make sense for the most
- We are going to prioritize sharing resources and communicating clearly
3. We cannot just do the same thing online.
- Some assignments are no longer possible
- Some expectations are no longer reasonable
- Some objectives are no longer valuable
4. We will foster intellectual nourishment, social connection, and personal accommodation.
- Accessible asynchronous content for diverse access, time zones, and contexts
- Optional synchronous discussion to learn together and combat isolation
5. We will remain flexible and adjust to the situation.
- Nobody knows where this is going and what we’ll need to adapt
- Everybody needs support and understanding in this unprecedented moment